Kinsale Harbour Cruise Blog
The native inhabitants had different names for various places within the harbour up until the end of the 19th century. Some of these are as follows: Cam Leaca, this is the hillside above the Lower road, where the apartments are today. An Bóthar Uachtarach, the road between the Spaniard pub and Ringcurran cross. Bóithrín na Leanbh is the nearest part of the Lower Road to the town, between the terrace and the seat on the Lower Road. Bóthairín na Suigrighe, the Lower Road from the seat to Summercove. Scilly Dam was known as Gleann na mBád and Scilly was known to the indigenous Irish speaking population as Báile na Iasgaire.
Perhaps the best-known historical attraction in Kinsale, Charles Fort, is on the road just beyond Summercove. It is open all year, and regular guided tours are available. Charles Fort is one of the finest surviving examples of a 17th Century star-shaped fort, and much of the construction begun in 1678 remains. The fort has two enormous bastions overlooking the estuary, and three facing inland. Within its walls were all the barracks and ancillary facilities to support the fort’s garrison. The fort continued in military use until 1922.
Contact The Harbour Cruise
Telephone : +353 86 2505456
Email : email@example.com